Biokinetic Blueprint: I am not a Physiotherapist! An Introduction to the Field of Biokinetics from a Practitioner's Perspective

I have been asked this question so many times, if I had a rand for every time, I wouldn't be in this profession. The common and most pertinent question, not only asked by potential patients but also by other health professionals, is what's the difference between Physiotherapy and Biokinetics? In all honesty, there isn't much of a difference in the fact that Physiotherapists can, in most instances, complete the rehabilitation process with the tools and expertise with which a Biokineticist can. I believe there is one fundamental and, from a practical perspective, significant difference which distinguishes the professions. Biokinetics is based on clinical exercise and the body's ability to move within a normative process without pain or hindrance. The modality of a Biokineticist is rooted in the flexibility of muscles for normative joint motion and, thereafter, the establishment of strength and stability of said joint.


In saying this, I am opposed to the fact that no one else can carry out what Biokineticists can do. I am also aware that we, as Biokineticists, are viewed very differently around the world and have many different names in different countries. Herein lies the greatest and biggest opportunity. The profession of Biokinetics has only been around since the 1960s/70s and was formalized around this time. However, Biokinetics itself can be shown as far back as the ancient Greeks. For example, the first recorded systematic study of human movement was conducted by Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine. He observed and analyzed the gait and posture of his patients and prescribed exercise as a treatment for various ailments.


So the question still remains, where does Biokinetics fit in to the rehabilitation process and why was it never a consideration throughout to provide it as a modality other than Physiotherapy. The answer lies in the cooperation of the two professions where each should compliment rather than dissociate from one another. A pain specialist who can return a patient to "normal" pain tolerance so that they can perform regular movement and therefore exercise should be a Biokineticist's greatest ally. Again, there is speculation that many Biokineticists do not stick to the scope of practice, which infringes on Physiotherapy. Therefore, our scope is defined, it's written in law and as such, Biokineticists have enough scope to make a difference within people's lives through specific exercises and modalities.


My intention for my blog series is to initiate understanding and provide as much information on a variety of topics related to Biokinetics to the informed and uninformed listener. I feel there is much in the way of misguided and common rhetoric around Biokinetics but no conversation around it. Therefore, I am creating a Biokinetic Blueprint of blogs from the standpoint of a professional in practice, giving feedback, utilizing experience, and inevitably providing solid foundational research-guided information.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biokinetic Blueprint: Pounding the Pavement

Biokinetic Blueprint: The Fountain of Youth, the secret ingredient.

Biokinetic Blueprint: The Captain America of rehabilitation