Biokinetic Blueprint: Im definitely going to become an accountant, my personal journey.


"What in the world was I thinking, spending long hours behind a desk, dealing with numbers 24/7/365? How could I have done this day in and day out? There are better and more equipped people who can perform these tasks and would enjoy them. Thank goodness I didn't. My personal journey to Biokinetics is an intriguing one, of not even understanding the ramifications of certain decisions and their impact. Upon reflection, looking back over the past 13 years of being in private practice, to tell the truth, it has been a blur. Sitting down and using this opportunity to reflect upon my decisions, and most times leaving it in the hands of other people to decide my fate, has literally put me where I am today.

As I stated in my introduction, I was almost enrolled for a BCOM accounting, before being brought hurtling back down to earth that I hadn't even made the grade to get into the degree. "Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and regroup" is the old adage. A general sport communication degree was to suffice at this stage, not having an end goal in mind on what this general degree could offer. The one benefit was that the degree incorporated all the Human Movement Science subjects which piqued my interest, coming from a very sport-dominated history. The fascination of sport has always been first and foremost in my life, from playing in the back garden as a youngster with my old man, to later playing provincial rugby at club level and representing Gauteng in triathlon. This would be the grounding for the grandeur of what the body is able to achieve when put under the immense stress of what sport can offer. Every day, I am amazed at the ability of the sportsman/woman to achieve the feats they do, knowing the pressures, the strains, and the long hours of training it takes to perform at the highest level.

It was only in my first year of undergrad that I was introduced to the field of Biokinetics by one of my lecturers. The intrigue was activated right there and then, and the choice was made. It was head down for the next three years, getting the required marks to get into honours. A year down in Zululand unexpectedly at one of the undiscovered secrets of the Biokinetics training facilities, and in a flash, I was in my internship.

I was offered to do my internship at an established and reputable practice in Johannesburg North, which I was extremely grateful and excited to be a part of. The thing that would shape me and make the Biokineticist, and partly the person, I am today was the experience of that year. I always implore my students whom I lecture to make the most of their internship year, as it's all very well knowing the textbook; however, putting it into practice is the greatest challenge. This practice was unique in the fact that it was an up-and-coming practice with a focus on neurological rehab. Gunshot trauma, head injuries, strokes, motor vehicle accidents, just to name a few, and let me tell you, there are many. The consequence of working with such people and their many different challenges made it apparent to me that the human body is so strong, yet so fragile. We are all a hard exterior protecting the vital, soft, and very vulnerable inner core that keeps us alive and functioning.

The unintended consequence of my internship in Biokinetics was the emotional drain and change it had on me. Witnessing the impact of injuries on the victims changed them not only physically but also emotionally and intellectually. However, the people who suffered the most were the families of these victims. Their lives changed suddenly and drastically, from being the life of the party, a breadwinner, a manager, a husband, a wife, a son, or a daughter. At the end of my internship, I realized how grateful I was for the opportunity to work with these incredible people and their families. Although it changed me for the better, I found myself becoming more empathetic than sympathetic in many situations. An emotional shift had made me somewhat numb to the difficult circumstances of everyday life, knowing that there were people fighting battles that not many were aware of.

But enough about the emotional deluge. Thirteen years have passed since I left my internship, and I have established a Biokinetics practice alongside an amazing Physiotherapist. I have found great pleasure in not only keeping up with a few neuro patients but also finding my niche in high-performance sports rehabilitation with a focus on orthopaedics.

The relentless pursuit of education and learning to provide the best care and endeavour to repair human bodies is what Biokineticists strive for. A medical degree is just a piece of paper; it's the person who makes the paper worth it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biokinetic Blueprint: Pounding the Pavement

Biokinetic Blueprint: The Fountain of Youth, the secret ingredient.

Biokinetic Blueprint: The Captain America of rehabilitation